After a long season of indulging in rich food, festive drinks, and way too many desserts, it’s time to treat your body to a refreshing juice. Go for an apple, cinnamon, and ginger shot to detox – apples are in season this time of year, and so good for you. The cinnamon and raw ginger in this recipe are anti-inflammatory and help boost immunity to fight those nasty winter colds, while the fibre from the apple is good for your gut and skin, as well as full of antioxidants.
Optionally, you can add a dash of turmeric, too – powdered or raw – for that brilliant yellow colour as well as its functional benefits. You can strain the juice after blending, but you’ll be missing out on all the good stuff that’s in the fibre. The same goes for peeling the apple before blending it for juice.
Apple Cinnamon Ginger Detox Shot
- 1 large apple
- 1/2-inch knob of ginger, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnnamon powder
- 1 cup (or 200ml) water
- Pinch of turmeric (optional)
- Wash, core, and cut the apple. Peel, if you prefer.
- Add the chopped apple, ginger, water, cinnamon powder, and turmeric powder into a blender.
- Blend on high speed for a minute, or until completely blended. If the juice is too thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time.
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle with more cinnamon or turmeric according to taste.