Lamb Machboos, a traditional Middle Eastern dish, has captivated palates worldwide with its harmonious blend of exotic spices and succulent lamb. This delectable rice-based delicacy is typically prepared by simmering tender lamb meat in a flavorful broth infused with a range of aromatic spices, vegetables, and rice. Known as Lamb Kabsa in some regions, this dish has an intricate seasoning profile that is sure to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds. The slow-cooked lamb is served atop a bed of rice that has been cooked in the same savory broth, garnished with crispy fried onions, and optionally accompanied by raisins or toasted almonds. This hearty and satisfying meal is perfect for sharing with loved ones and a must-try for any foodie eager to savor the exotic flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine. Your taste buds won’t know what hit them! Enjoy your Lamb Machboos with a side of salad or yogurt.
- 600 gm (Approx. 2 small pieces bone in) Lamb shank
- 1 tbsp Seven spice
- ½ cup Beef Broth
- 4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Lime juice only
- 2 tbsp Yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Neutral oil
- 2 large Onions sliced (120g appx)
- 1 cup of Tomato puree
- 2 Cardamoms crushed
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 2 Bay leaf
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 pieces Dried Lime
- 2 cups Basmati rice rinsed until clear
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 bunch Coriander chopped
- A pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Marinate the lamb shanks in seven spice, beef broth, garlic cloves, lime juice, yogurt and salt for 10-15 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add the lamb shanks along with 1/2 cup of broth/water. Pressure cook for approximately 30 minutes, and switch off. Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Drain the lamb shanks and reserve the stock. Measure the stock and add water to make it 3 cups total.
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the sliced onions and fry until browned. Reserve half the fried onion for later.
- Add the lamb shanks to the pot and toss for a couple of minutes until nicely browned.
- Once done, add the rice and rest of the ingredients in the pot and mix everything together.
- Cover the pot and cook until the rice stands on end and the water has evaporated, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, garnish with the reserved fried onions and serve hot.