Oatmeal raisin cookies are an all-time favourite. We love these cookies but decided to tweak our recipe to incorporate goji berries for added antioxidants. Soft, thick, packed with flavour, and loaded with nutritious oats and goji berries, these heavenly treats make a great weeknight treat or weekend fix. They are literally perfect at any time! And as an added bonus, they are good for you, too.
Oats are packed with fiber and support lower cholesterol levels. Goji berries have the highest levels of natural melatonin but why we love these little guys is because of their antioxidant-rich properties that promote digestive health and strengthen your immunity. Goji berries have five times the antioxidants of traditional raisins used to make oatmeal raisin cookies. Five times!
With all this goodness you can have your cookie and eat it too! Feel free to add in other healthy ingredients like nuts or seeds to amplify your oatmeal cookie’s nutritional value. Or, if you’re feeling really adventurous, you can even swap out some of the sugar for natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. The possibilities are endless.
Chewy Oatmeal Goji Berry Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup goji berries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, and vanilla extract together until creamy.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Stir in the oats and goji berries.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches (5 cm) between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges have browned and the centre is set.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.