As the holy month of Ramadan approaches, many Muslims around the world prepare for a month of fasting, reflection, and spiritual growth. Suhoor, the pre-dawn meal, is a crucial part of the day for those observing Ramadan, providing much-needed sustenance before a day of fasting. It’s essential to eat nutritious and filling foods during this meal, ensuring that your body has enough energy to make it through the day. Brown lentil soup is a perfect suhoor option, packed with protein and fiber, keeping you full and satisfied until the sun sets. Chef Vanessa Bayma‘s easy-to-follow recipe makes it a breeze to prepare, making your suhoor meal hassle-free and nutritious.
- 280gr brown lentil
- 160gr approx 2 large white onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 100gr lamb shank pieces cubed 2cm approx (optional)
- 260 gr canned chickpea – drained and rinsed
- 80 gr (1 small) carrot chopped
- 1 piece lemon – juice only
- 1250ml of water
- 2 pc vegetable stock cube (30g powder)
- 2 pc bay leaf
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of paprika for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and chopped carrots. Sweat them until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a medium simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add water as needed.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup on pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve hot and garnish with paprika and a lemon wedge.
Enjoy your delicious and healthy vegetable soup!