Throughout human history, women have played important roles in their communities as leaders, healers, educators, artists, and spiritual figures, even if their contributions have not always been acknowledged or valued equally. The history of feminine power is long and complex, spanning many different cultures and societies throughout human history. Read on to learn about key events and movements that have shaped the concept of feminine power as we known it today.
Feminine Power Through The Ages
Since the dawn of time, women’s roles and personal power have shifted and evolved:
- In ancient societies, women played important roles as leaders, healers, and spiritual figures. For example, in ancient Egypt, women could serve as pharaohs, and the goddess Isis was widely revered.
- In the Middle Ages, women often held positions of power within the church as nuns or abbesses. However, women were generally excluded from political power and were seen as subordinate to men.
- In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the women’s suffrage movement fought for women’s right to vote and participate in political life. Women also began to enter the workforce in larger numbers, challenging traditional gender roles.
- In the 1960s and 70s, the feminist movement emerged, advocating for gender equality and women’s rights. This movement helped to bring attention to issues like the gender pay gap, sexual harassment, and reproductive rights.
- In recent years, the #MeToo movement has brought attention to issues of sexual harassment and assault, empowering women to speak out against abuse and harassment.
Despite the challenges and setbacks, women have continued to assert their power and influence, from grassroots organizing to cultural expression. Today, there is a growing recognition of the importance of feminine leadership and the need for more diverse and inclusive representation in all areas of society. To honour the women before us, and International Women’s day, you can celebrate your feminine qualities and characteristics. Embracing your feminine power means celebrating your strengths and using them to create positive change.
Practices to Take Your Feminine Power Back
Here are some practical tips on how you can embrace and hold on to your feminine power:
- Practice self-love: Take time to nurture your mind, body, and soul through self-care practices such as meditation, exercise, and spending time in nature. To embrace your feminine power, first love and accept yourself as you are.
- Cultivate self-awareness: Spend time reflecting on your strengths and qualities that you appreciate about yourself as a woman. This will help you build self-confidence and feel more comfortable in your own skin.
- Embrace your intuition: Listen to your inner voice and trust your gut instincts. Women are naturally intuitive beings. Trusting and embracing your intuition is key to tapping into your feminine power.
- Embrace your emotions: Women are often encouraged to suppress their emotions, but embracing your emotions is a powerful way to tap into your feminine power. Feel your feelings, express them, and use them as a source of strength.
- Connect with other women: Connect with other women who inspire you and lift you up, and work together to create positive change in your community and the world. Connect with women by joining a women’s group. Women are often strongest when they work together.
- Challenge gender stereotypes: Stand up for yourself and other women when you encounter sexism or discrimination. Challenge traditional gender roles and stereotypes. Embracing your feminine power means breaking down gender stereotypes and creating space for women to thrive.
- Embrace your creativity: Take time to explore your creative passions, whether it’s writing, painting, or dancing. Women are often natural creators, and embracing your creative side is a powerful way to tap into your feminine power.
- Express yourself: Explore different ways of expressing your femininity, such as through fashion, makeup, or art. Find what feels authentic to you and go with it.
- Celebrate your femininity: Wear clothes that make you feel amazing and embrace the whole of you, curves, stretch marks and warts, and all! Own your femininity with pride.
- Learn to set boundaries: Learn to say “no” when necessary. This maintains your self-respect and establishes healthy relationships.
Mind-Body Tips to Increase Your Feminine Power
Being a Women’s Health and Wellness Coach, it would be wrong of me not to add some Mind/Body self-care tips:
- Prioritize your time: Make time for yourself every day, whether it’s a relaxing bath, meditation, reading a book, or engaging in a hobby you enjoy.
- Exercise regularly: Find a form of exercise that you enjoy and make it a part of your regular routine. Physical activity is crucial for overall health, and it can help boost confidence and improve self-esteem.
- Eat a balanced diet: Incorporate plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats into your diet. Eating a healthy and balanced diet provides the nutrients your body needs to function properly and maintains a healthy weight.
- Get enough sleep: Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night and establish a consistent sleep routine to promote better sleep quality.
- Practice stress-management techniques: Deep breathing, meditation, yoga, or tai chi helps reduce chronic stress and improve overall well-being.
Remember, empowerment comes from within, and embracing your femininity is a personal journey and you can create positive change in your life and the world around you. It just requires self-reflection, self-care, and a willingness to be true to yourself.
Sharon James is a women’s health and well-being coach specialising in menopause wellness. Visit www.sharonjamescoaching.com for more information or connect with her via Instagram and Facebook. You can also get on the waitlist for her Menopause Mastery workshops here.